4 March 2021
The Lord Chancellor has asked the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) to convene a selection panel to recommend for the Court of Appeal. There are up to 4 vacancies that are expected to arise from the summer of 2021.
The exercise launches on 5 March 2021. Anyone interested in making an application should contact the JAC’s Head of Senior Appointments, Jenny Ballance, for further information on the eligibility and selection criteria, as well as further information on how to apply.
Applications are particularly welcome from those with specialisms in public law, crime and company and insolvency law although applications from those considered more generalist are also of great benefit to the court.
Candidates are expected to be of outstanding ability and, save in exceptional circumstances, have sufficient directly relevant previous judicial experience. The meaning of “directly relevant experience” is sitting as a judge in a higher court, with substantial experience of hearing complex and demanding cases. Candidates are required to submit judgments as part of their application.
Candidates will be expected to demonstrate:
- Being an outstanding lawyer.
- The ability to deliver excellent ex tempore and written judgments expeditiously.
- An understanding of the diverse communities using the Court of Appeal.
- Understanding of the impact of law on society.
- Understanding and appreciation of the importance of comity between the branches of Government.
- The ability to contribute to the esteem in which our jurisdiction is held.
- The ability to shape and develop the law.
- The ability to work efficiently and effectively in and out of court.
- The ability to work well with colleagues, officials, court users and staff.
Some candidates will also be expected to show ability to take on leadership roles.
If you are interested in making an application and you think you have the requisite evidence to do so please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to request an information pack.
All enquiries are dealt with in the strictest confidence.
Applications closed on 22 March 2021.