Members come from a wide background to ensure the Commission has a breadth of knowledge, expertise and independence.
The Chairman of the Commission is a lay member.
Of the 14 other Commissioners:
- 6 must be judicial members (including 2 tribunal judges)
- 2 must be professional members (each of which must hold a qualification listed below but must not hold the same qualification as each other)
- 5 must be lay members
- 1 must be a non-legally qualified judicial member
The legal qualifications are:
- Barrister in England and Wales
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives