In response to the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, the JAC ran all selection activity remotely between March 2020 and September 2021, in order to meet the needs of the courts and tribunals. This included launching selection exercises, receiving applications, shortlisting and video interviews, and we have been able to ensure selection processes remain robust and fair. Despite the many challenges presented by the pandemic we have seen some positives, such as increased flexibility for candidates due to not needing to travel and information reaching wider audiences via remote outreach events.
The safety and well-being of candidates, panel members and staff remains a priority for us, alongside the business need. As restrictions have eased, we have returned to some face to face selection activity and our approaches include:
- Across all exercises, all assessment up to selection day will be conducted remotely
- For salaried roles, we will start running selection days face to face
- For fee-paid non-legal roles selection days will be conducted remotely
- For most fee-paid legal roles selection days will be conducted remotely.
- The information page for each exercise, when launched, will set out how selection activity will be run for that exercise and candidates will be kept up to date about the process throughout the course of their exercise.
Subject to government guidance, we intend to take this approach initially for 12 months, starting from November 2021. During this time we will continue to review, seek feedback and consider longer term approaches. Any changes will be carefully considered and clearly communicated to candidates, in good time wherever possible, in line with government guidance.
Our 2020-23 Strategy, containing our 2020-21 Business Plan, outlines how we will continue to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak. We recognise that the current circumstances mean that some candidates may encounter difficulties in completing parts of the selection process.. So far as it is possible, we will help candidates with alternative arrangements. Please contact the relevant selection exercise team in the first instance, or firstname.lastname@example.org , as soon as possible if you require reasonable adjustments or are unable to complete any part of our process – for reasons relating to COVID-19, or other.
This information will be updated on a regular basis.